Permits & Inspections
Anyone intending to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by codes and ordinances of the City, or to cause any such work to be done, must first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.
Applications and Fees
To obtain a permit, an applicant must first file an application with the building official. Such application must include:
Identification and description of the work to be covered by the permit. Description of the land on which the proposed work is to be done, either by legal description, street address, or similar description that will readily identify and locate the proposed building or work. The use and occupancy for which the proposed work is intended. Construction documents and other information as required by codes and ordinances of the City (refer to International Building Code (IBC) Section 107 [c. 2012] for more information on submittal documents). The valuation of the proposed work. Signature by the applicant, or the applicant’s authorized agent. Other data and information as may be required by the building official.
- Commercial Building Permit Applications (includes new construction, additions, alterations/remodels, and tenant improvements)
- Residential Building Permit Application (includes new construction, additions, alterations/remodels, and garages)
- General Building Permit Application (includes all other ancillary work)
- Demolition Permit Application
- Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing Permit Application*
Fees will be assessed as follows:
|$1 to $500||$30|
|$501 to $2,000||$30 for the first $1600; plus $1.50 for each additional $100 or fraction thereof, up to and including $2,000|
|$2,001 to $25,000||$66 for the first $2,000; plus $6 for each additional $1,000 or fraction thereof, up to and including $40,000|
|$25,001 to $100,000||$204 for the first $25,000; plus $4.50 for each additional $1,000 or fraction thereof, up to and including $50,000|
|$50,001 to $100,000||$316.50 for the first $50,000; plus $3 for each additional $1,000 or fraction thereof, up to and including $100,000|
|$100,001 to $500,000||$466.50 for the first $100,000; plus $2.55 for each additional $1,000 or fraction thereof, up to and including $500,000|
|$500,001 and over||$1456.50 for the first $500,000; plus $2.10 for each additional $1,000 or fraction thereof|
For Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing Permit Fees, refer to Appendix A of Ordinance No. 5356.
Construction or work for which a permit is required is subject to inspection by the building official and such construction or work must remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes until approved.
Inspections can be scheduled by either calling the Inspection Hotline at 402.727.2657 or e-mailing the department of building safety at . Please provide:
- Your name and phone number;
- Your permit number and the address associated with the permit;
- What type of inspection you are requesting;
- The desired date and time of the inspection (inspection times will be respected to the greatest degree possible with preference given on a first come, first served basis; where a conflict exists, inspections will be pushed back to the next available inspection time; if there are no available inspections times for the date requested, inspections will get rolled to the next business day; inspection dates and times may also be subject to inspector availability); and
- Any special instructions for the inspector.